So I'm a total sucker for Old Wives' tales and other superstitious things. You better believe I'm all over the gender prediction tales for this pregnancy. I initially needed to know RIGHT NOW what we are having. And then I became all cool with not knowing and even questioned finding out! We've weighed the pros and cons and we've decided we are going to find out. I'll share the results on Monday if baby cooperates. In the mean time, let's rely on the super reliable Old Wives' tales.
This stuff fascinates me. I mean, where does some of this stuff come from? I am leaving out some of the more popular ones that include urinating on Draino or keeping pee soaked cabbage in your fridge over night. Because dangerous. And gross.
1. Heart rate: If the baby's heart rate is above 140 bpm, it is said that the baby will be a girl. If it is under 140 bpm, then it will be a boy.
Our baby ranges from 140s-160s depending on the appointment. Prediction: Girl
2. Shape of the Belly: If you are carrying high with a big, round belly, you are having a girl. If you are carrying low with a smaller belly that sticks straight out, it’s a boy.
My stomach is super pointy. Prediction: Boy
3. Acne: If you have acne while pregnant, it’s a girl. It’s thought that acne during is caused by the extra hormones.
My face has cleared up since becoming pregnant. Prediction: Boy
4. Cravings: It is believed that if you are craving salty foods while pregnant, you can count on having a boy. If you crave sweets, fruit, and orange juice, you are having a little girl.
Cheetos, cheese and meats have led my list of cravings. Ice cream and donuts are also towards the top but I don't think I can blame that one on the kid. I have always had a sweet tooth but I really haven't wanted much in the form of sugar. Prediction: Boy
5. Dad's Weight Gain: If the dad-to-be gains weight while you are pregnant, it’s a girl. If he doesn’t gain weight, you’re having a boy.
Well, Nate has put on a few pounds but that could also be tax season. ;) Prediction: Girl
6. Morning Sickness: If you had a smooth pregnancy with no morning sickness, it’s a boy. If you were sick or felt really nauseous during your pregnancy, count on a girl.
I honestly could be pregnant forever. But let's not be crazy. I miss having a closet full of clothes that fit. And not having to pee every 15 minutes. Prediction: Boy
7. Chinese Gender Prediction: Legend says that the Chinese gender charts are over 700 years old and over 90% accurate. The gender of the baby is predicted based on the month of conception and the mother's birthday. Prediction: Boy
8. Even and Odd Theory: Legend has it that the Mayans determined a baby's sex by looking at the mother's age at conception and the year of conception. If both are even or odd, it's a girl. If one's even and one's odd, it's a boy. Prediction:Girl
9. Sleep position: If you prefer sleeping on the right side, girl. Left side, boy. Prediction: Girl
10. Ring String Test: Using a string, hang your wedding ring over your belly. You are having a girl if the ring swings back and forth and it’s a boy if it swings in a circle.
I had Nate perform this test. He had no clue what was supposed to happen. I'm pretty sure he thought I lost my mind. (Which is always valid.) It spun in a circle. Prediction: Boy
- Boy: 6
- Girl: 4
What's Ike's prediction?
He still has no clue what's going on. It's probably best.
Any guesses? Any Old Wives' Tales you want me to test out? (NO CABBAGE!)