Thank you to everyone that shared a glimpse of their lives with us yesterday! We loved hearing from those of you that don’t comment often…and those who do! (Commenting wasn’t so bad. Was it?) It’s nice to know who’s out there! (If you have no idea what I’m talking about, check out yesterday’s post here.)
I had some requests that I answer these questions as well. At first I was like, I write this thing. You probably know everything about me. There’s an “About Us” tab at the top of the blog. And then I realized I don’t share quite as much of our personal lives on here as I sometimes think I do.
So here it goes…more than you will ever want to know about us! I’ll bullet them for scanning purposes…longest post EVER…
Where are you from?
- We live in a small town about 10 minutes outside of Davenport, IA. It’s the town Nate grew up in. I’m originally from north central Iowa (near Fort Dodge).
How old are you? Are you married, single, etc?
- We’re both 29. It stresses me out. I’m afraid to turn 30.
- We’re, obviously, married. Since 2006. The big 5 years this year!
How do you pay your bills? Or do you? What’s your dream job?
- I’m a pharmacist at a clinic for those in need. Nate is an accountant at a small CPA firm.
- My dream job is to own a book store where I will serve hot chocolate and smoothies….think Meg Ryan in You’ve Got Mail. Nate asked me if I finished watching that movie. For those of you who haven’t seen it (which you should…today), the book stores goes under. He’s such a dream crusher.
- I’m guessing Nate’s dream job is to be a professional golfer. Just a guess. I’ll have to ask him. He’s at work while I’m enjoying the start to my mini-staycation….mwah ha ha
Do you rent? Own?
- We obviously own. Like most of you, we probably own about 5% of the house. We are working on paying off my student loans first and then the mortgage payment. We did just refinance and decreased our mortgage from a 30 year mortgage to a 15 year. Crazy to think we could own our home outright by the time we are 45..or hopefully sooner.
Do you have babies? Fur or human.
- You all know about our child…he’s enjoying the staycation as well (note the Wubba...it goes EVERYWHERE with him)…
- I’m not hiding any human children. Nate and I are unsure about the children thing. Some days we think it might not be so bad…other days not so much. We’ve got some time. I think we’d prefer to have kids around 45. Darn biological clocks.
Favorite TV show? Movie?
- Our favorite TV shows include How I Met Your Mother, 30 Rock, The Big Bang Theory, The Amazing Race, The Middle. We really enjoyed Traffic Light but it’s been cancelled. Why do they always do this to me??
- I have trouble picking movies. Nate is obsessed with Super Troopers. Dumb. I like girly stuff…and Elf. Elf is my all time favorite. I try to watch it at least 8 times (magic number) during Christmas.
- Thanks for your recommendations!
- I like to read. I got a Kindle for Christmas. I just discovered my Kindle App on my phone at a baseball game last night. Dangerous. I can read at a baseball game and no one thinks I’m that old lady weirdo reading her book. Bonus.
- I like light reads. I spent 8 years reading text books. I’ve done that “challenge myself” thing. I recently finished Something Borrowed, Something Blue, and Heaven is For Real. Enjoyed them all. My favorites include The Help, Marley and Me, and Charlotte’s Web.
Favorite Paint Color?
- I really like blues. Blues can be hard. I really want to paint our kitchen blue. Nate thinks I’m out of control.
Answers to Other Questions You Asked:
- Why did we decide to build? Post coming soon!
- Where are we going on vacation? We are headed to Lake Michigan with Nate’s family for a week!
- Are your floors hardwood or laminate, and how do you keep them from being scratched? They are hardwood. Brazilian Cherry. How do we keep them from being scratched? We don’t. Overall the cherry is a pretty hard wood but after 2 1/2 years of living here, we are accumulating some scratches…from the dog flying down the stairs 1 million mph or dropping things. We call it “giving the house character”. That dent on the floor in the kitchen will always remind to hang my curtains high and wide because the dent occurred while Nate was re-hanging them. Good husband.
- Tell us about Ike. Where to start. I tell people I love him like he came from my uterus (too graphic?). We got him from a breeder in northwest Iowa 4 1/2 years ago. He’s full of energy. He’s loves EVERYTHING…especially walks, Wubbas, bones, other dogs, and sleeping in the bed. He’s our shadow. Everyone we go, he is there. Best. Dog. Ever.
- What are your favorite parts about blogging? Why did you start one? What keeps you going?
- I think I started writing a blog because I wanted to share with others what we have learned along the way. We are not experts. Our house doesn’t have the most expensive finishes. We have no formal training in design. I don’t want to preach to you about how you should decorate your home in a specific way and the only way to do that is just like us. Your home should be filled with colors and things that you love. Period.
- I also kept getting annoyed with blogs stating that they decorate on a budget. Yes, that pillow you purchased was only $20 but I see 5 of them on your couch. If my math is right, that’s $100 on pillows. Pillows. You can make a cover for about $3.
- My favorite parts of blogging? You all. Seriously. Most of my “real life” have friends have zero to no interest in decorating and design. It consumes my thoughts and it’s nice to have people to share that with. I’ve also enjoyed writing again. I’ve always liked to write…and so I go into a professional field of math and science. Smart girl.
- What keeps me going? You all….and the never-ending thoughts of projects floating in my brain.